Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Book Review: My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, & Jodi Meadows

Release Date: June 7th, 2016
Read: August 5th-8th, 2016
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: My Lady Jane, #1
Format: Hardcover, 512 pages
Source: OwlCrate




Description from GoodReads:


   Edward (long live the king) is the King of England. He’s also dying, which is inconvenient, as he’s only sixteen and he’d much rather be planning for his first kiss than considering who will inherit his crown…

   Jane (reads too many books) is Edward’s cousin, and far more interested in books than romance. Unfortunately for Jane, Edward has arranged to marry her off to secure the line of succession. And there’s something a little odd about her intended…

   Gifford (call him G) is a horse. That is, he’s an EĆ°ian (eth-y-un, for the uninitiated). Every day at dawn he becomes a noble chestnut steed—but then he wakes at dusk with a mouthful of hay. It’s all very undignified.

   The plot thickens as Edward, Jane, and G are drawn into a dangerous conspiracy. With the fate of the kingdom at stake, our heroes will have to engage in some conspiring of their own. But can they pull off their plan before it’s off with their heads?

Review:


   How does one act like food?
   Before My Lady Jane was announced, I had actually read at least one book from each of the authors. Cynthia Hand is actually a favourite author of mine, so a historical/romance/fantasy twist by all three of them? You can sure bet that I was on board, and by a stroke of luck My Lady Jane happened to be in the June OwlCrate box for Royalty.
   Having learned about King Edward in the past year, going into the book I thought I knew what was going to happen, boy was I wrong. Sometimes "history" does get it wrong, or in this case history sure gets changed a lot. If you go into My Lady Jane being familiar with that particular part of history, then you are definitely in for a surprise, a good one though I promise. Everything that was changed was all for the better good, and I couldn't be happier about it. Especially the part where practically everyone is a shapeshifter.
   The book is told from multiple points of view, I assume that each character is written by a different author but what do I know. Each character had their own quirks that kept you intrigued and entertained, no matter what character you were currently reading about, you just couldn't put the book down. My particular favourite being Jane, her story in the end absolutely became my favourite.
   My Lady Jane was a very cute and absolutely enjoyable read, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a little bit of history, fantasy or even contemporary. I will be looking forward to the next part of history that these 3 phenomenal authors decide to rewrite!

   P.S I promise that the little ferret on the spine of the book gets explained, it isn't there by accident!

Rating:


Favourite Quote:


"Who on earth could feel comfortable enough to sleep in a room with no books?"

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Shapeshifters, Magic



1 comment:

  1. This was a really cute book. My Oldest and I both loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!