Sunday, January 12, 2014

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Release Date: January 10,  2012
Read: January 8,  2014
Publisher: Dutton Books
Series: N/A
Format: Hardcover,  313 pages
Source: Gift


Description on GoodReads:


   Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

   Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 


   Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

Review:

I'm Okay.

...Not really.

      I heard about this novel from many different people, the things I heard were incredible. As I looked into this book I slowly began to want to read it, but I also became afraid. I don't read realistic fiction. When I read, I read to go to different places that I'll never experience. With The Fault in Our Stars, people live and battle with cancer in their everyday lives. That could happen to me or one of my loved ones one day, that thought made me afraid to hear Hazel and Augustus's story. But I'm glad I read it anyway.
       The story began with Hazel not enjoying her life/time she had left, but that changed when she met Augustus Waters. I adored both characters, which made it sad in the end. When the story is about cancer patients you practically know how it's going to end. Even with that the strengths and optimism of the characters is heartwarming. Most of the time people living with cancer have let the thought of death ruin them, because as Augustus said depression is a side affect of dying. Augustus has shown Hazel and the readers that there is another side to life with cancer. Live with what time you have, don't waste it.
        This story had me on a roller coaster that went up until it couldn't go any higher. It had me smiling, giggling, and crying. But most importantly this novel was a work of perfection. John Green has made us seen the world in a completely different point of view, and we thank him for that.
        John Green has written many other works of art including Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns and An Abundance of Katherines. Most of these have won many awards. He currently runs vlogbrothers with his brother Hank.

Rating:



Favourite Quote:

" Flirting was new to me, but I liked it." ~Hazel


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:

Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, Young Love, Cancer Stories 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!