Sunday, April 19, 2015

Book Review: Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Release Date: August 14th, 2014
Read: March 27th- April 1st, 2015
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Series: Covenant, #1
Format: Paperback, 383 pages
Source: Won


Description from GoodReads:


   The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi - pure-bloods - have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals - well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.

   Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:

   Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.

   Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem - staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck. 


Review:


   Is this what you wanted?
Greek mythology is a thing of mine, I just love it. Whenever I hear about a new YA book featuring it, I make a bee-line to get myself a copy. With Half-Blood I couldn't do that, I had the hardest time trying to find a copy. I checked all the places I would normally would get books and had no luck, it wasn't till I checked Book Depository that I had some luck. They were out of stock, but at least they carried it. Eventually I ended up winning a copy, a UK copy. So now I am happy and content.
   I love Jennifer L. Armentrout, I really do but this one wasn't one of my favourites. It reminded me too much of Vampire Academy, Alex's sass, the loving the instructor, it was just too similar.
   Besides that Half-Blood was a nicely written books, I'll definitely be picking up the rest of the books. I'm excited to see a bit more of Seth and hopefully some greek gods! 

Rating:



Favourite Quote:

"It’s just words and words mean nothing. Only action does."


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Mythology, Supernatural, Paranormal




1 comment:

  1. If it being too much like VA was your biggest downer for this book, I definitely recommend continuing the series. The Covenant series completely separates itself from the comparisons as the story continues. AND, it's fantastic. So it's a win-win :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!