Saturday, July 7, 2018

Book Review: Campfire by Shawn Sarles

Release Date: July 17th, 2018
Read: April 14-20th, 2018
Publisher: Jimmy Patterson
Series: Standalone
Format: ARC, 304 pages
Source: McNally Robinson




Description from GoodReads:


   While camping in a remote location, Maddie Davenport gathers around the fire with her friends and family to tell scary stories. Caleb, the handsome young guide, shares the local legend of the ferocious Mountain Men who hunt unsuspecting campers and leave their mark by carving grisly antlers into their victims' foreheads.

   The next day, the story comes true. 

   Now Maddie and her family are lost in the deep woods--with no way out--being stalked by their worst nightmares. Because there were other, more horrifying stories told that night--and Maddie's about to find out just how they end...



Review:

   Sometimes you just stumble across a book and can’t help but be so intrigued that you have to pick up the book. That’s how I ended up with a copy of Campfire by Shawn Sarles. After reading the synopsis, I just knew I needed to read the book. 
   There will always be books out there that’s synopsis doesn’t depict the book at all, or give off the right vibe to the story. That was the case with Campfire and I. I went into the book wanting people stuck in the middle of nowhere, camping with no connection to the outside world, and the monsters of the campfire stories literally coming alive. When I say monsters, I mean in a paranormal sense. I wanted the Mountain Men to be actual monster like creatures that were hunting them down. In the end I did get most of that, but without the paranormal. If you go into Campfire thinking you’d be getting a paranormal horror, turn around because that’s certainly not what you’re getting. I can honestly say that because of the misdirection of the synopsis I did not enjoy the book at all. 

   I also found the book to be awfully slow and would constantly catch myself waiting for when the real action would begin because half of the time we would be getting a bunch of useless information. 

   Someone will for sure like Campfire, but I can certainly say that person is not me. 

Rating:


Favourite Quote:



Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Horror, Thriller, Mystery, Stephen King



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!