Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Review: The Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare & Wesley Chu

Release Date: April 9th, 2019
Read: March 28th-31st, 2019
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Series: The Eldest Curses, #1
Format: ARC, 368 pages
Source: McNally Robinson



Description from GoodReads:


Magnus Bane, a centuries old High Warlock, has taken possession of one of the great relics of the supernatural world, a powerful spell book of dark magic known as The Book of the White and there are many who want to claim it for themselves.

After the Mortal War where the part-human and part-angel Shadowhunters teamed with the part human-demon Downworlders to fight against the incursion of an army of demons, Magnus and his new lover, the mortal Alec Lightwood celebrate their survival and victory by escaping the supernatural battlefield of New York City by touring the world, but the world won’t leave them alone.


Review:


   I do not ever want another love.
   I was never a huge fan of Alec Lightwood. His character in The Mortal Instruments made me cringe and left me uncomfortable with how he was always such spoil sport. Especially when he ruined the only good thing going for him in City of Lost Souls. It wasn't until I read the Dark Artifices that I grew to like Alec. I've always been a fan of Magnus Bane, so with the sequel series and Magnus combined I knew I was going to have to read The Red Scrolls of Magic. The end of Queen of Air and Darkness certainly gave me a push as well. 

   I have always been a firm believer that Cassandra Clare's books should be read in publication order, rather than just the series order. Her books are all so intertwined that I feel like you get the most out of the experience if you read them the way they released. With the Red Scrolls of Magic, I don't feel like that's the case. This is the on exception to my Cassie Clare belief. 

   With The Red Scrolls of Magic being set after City of Glass and before City of Fallen Angels, it's almost better to read it between them. Unfortunately though, I found that I enjoyed the story a little more since I previously read The Bane Chronicles. I also found that you needed to have completed The Infernal Devices so that you wouldn't be spoiled for that series. Overall, I don't know where would be the best place to read this one. 

   Having read it in publication order, I almost felt like I dreaded where the end of the trilogy would go, as the three previous series put it in a bit of a box. City of Lost Souls was always on my mind throughout reading The Red Scrolls of Magic, knowing what was coming was certainly a downer. I guess, that's basically the easiest way of thinking about it? 

   On the other hand, I really enjoyed knowing some aspects going into the book, like Aline and Helen, and Malcom Fade. Seeing old characters reappear, knowing where their stories would lead, felt like I was apart of an insider of sorts. 

   My feelings for The Red Scrolls of Magic are all over the place, but one thing's for certain. I loved getting to know Magnus and Alec more, and look forward to The Lost Book of the White when it releases in 2020. 

Rating:

Favourite Quote:


"Don't you dare. Don't call me anymore. I have no interest in helping you ever again. Don't tell anyone about me helping you this time."

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


New Adult, Young Adult, Paranormal, Shadowhunters, LGBTQA+ relationships, Demons, Cassandra Clare


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!