Thursday, February 27, 2014

Book Review: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Release Date: December 28th, 2006
Read: February 24-26th, 2014
Publisher: Speak
Series: N/A
Format: Paperback, 221 pages
Source: Bought




Description from GoodReads:

Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. Then he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same



Review

    How will I ever get out of this labyrinth?
    I have so much to say about this books, but I feel like my words won't be able to express them. I had picked up Looking for Alaska after I had finished The Fault in Our Stars, my first thoughts towards the book were that it would be an adorable novel like The Fault in Our Stars was. I was completely wrong. With Looking for Alaska I found myself thinking about how many people are living in difficult situations and what they're going through or have been through. Maybe they're living in poverty or have addictions that they can't live with, situations like these are not a laughing matter. That goes the same with this book, while reading this I was forced to rethink about how I saw people. The thing with John Green's books are that no matter the topic for his books, they will somewhat change you. With The Fault in Our Stars it changed how I saw people living with cancer, instead of feeling bad for them I now see them living with strength and courage. In Looking for Alaska the was I saw people living in a labyrinth changed. I learnt even with help, family and friends some people just can't live in the labyrinth anymore and just have to find a way out. 
       On a upside to Looking for Alaska I loved the subtile things that John would have here and there. Like the story of Alaska and her books. I've taken such an understanding to this that it shocks me. No matter how long we live our lives, there will always be books we haven't read and will never read. To think of this to me is just devastating, but we can still at least try. 
        Looking for Alaska is emotionally conflicting read, it reaches out to it reader and makes them realize and see things they probably wouldn't have known without being in someone else's shoes or learning their story.  I am glad I picked it up and look forward to my next John Green read.




Note: I've also started to refer to my books as my Life's Library.


Update:


   In Spring 2014, I lost an old family friend. He was only a few years older then me, about Alaska's age. At his funeral I found myself thinking about Looking for Alaska, or rather the message John tried to tell us in the book.  It wasn't until someone so young was taken from us that I truly understand it. If that event was the reason I truly comprehend his message, then I hope no one else will have to endure such events to understand.




Rating:





Favourite Quote:

"Her life's library." ~ Pudge


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:

Young Adult, Romance,  Realistic Fiction


Spolier:
When I think of Alaska Young I find myself thinking her last words were "Straight and Fast" for Pudges sake. I believe this to be important in someway, but to which way I wouldn't know.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!