Friday, February 27, 2015

Book Review: Talon by Julie Kagawa

Talon by Julie Kagawa


Release Date: October 28th, 2014
Read: February 19-20th, 2015
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Series: Talon #1
Format: Hardcover, 449 pages
Source: Gift




Description from GoodReads:


   Long ago, dragons were hunted to near extinction by the Order of St. George, a legendary society of dragon slayers. Hiding in human form and growing their numbers in secret, the dragons of Talon have become strong and cunning, and they're positioned to take over the world with humans none the wiser.

   Ember and Dante Hill are the only sister and brother known to dragonkind. Trained to infiltrate society, Ember wants to live the teen experience and enjoy a summer of freedom before taking her destined place in Talon. But destiny is a matter of perspective, and a rogue dragon will soon challenge everything Ember has been taught. As Ember struggles to accept her future, she and her brother are hunted by the Order of St. George.


   Soldier Garret Xavier Sebastian has a mission to seek and destroy all dragons, and Talon's newest recruits in particular. But he cannot kill unless he is certain he has found his prey: and nothing is certain about Ember Hill. Faced with Ember's bravery, confidence and all-too-human desires, Garret begins to question everything that the Order has ingrained in him: and what he might be willing to give up to find the truth about dragons. 



Review:


Contains Spoilers:

   Rnesh karr slithis
   My first Julie Kagawa book was The Iron King, then I went on to finishing the series ( This was when The Iron Knight was still the final book), I cried a little bit then needed more. Julie's Blood of Eden series was next, which was almost even better then her first series! At this point I had become obsessed with Julie's books, it was an automatic buy from there on out. Which is how I came to get myself a copy of Talon, with the copy in my hands I just knew I was in for a ride.
   Julie writes fantasy books, each book featuring it's own creature, Fairies for The Iron Fey, Vampires for the Blood of Eden and finally Dragons for Talon. The dragon genre is somewhat small when it comes to YA, sure you have a few here and there but a lot of times dragons aren't the main focus in the series unlike Talon here. I just loved Julie's take on them, how they lived in a society, that they could change into Humans, the different jobs they had to keep their species alive. I loved all of it, though I did feel like the book edged a bit to close to another YA novel I've read called Firelight by Sophie Jordan.
   Out of all the jobs the dragons were given, I think the Vipers were my favourite! Who would have thought that Dragons would have their own set of assassins. I hope we actually get to see more of them in Rogue and the books after.
   I couldn't stand Riley/ Cobalt, the whole time throughout the book. Every time he was mentioned all I could think of was older guys hitting on me. Someone like 20 years older then me, it freaked me out so much. It didn't help whenever Riley was with Ember she'd get "dragon urges". EW EW EW EW. I just couldn't do it, the same went with Dimitri in Vampire Academy.
   The epilogue in Talon broke me a bit, I knew that Dante was going to tell Talon that Ember was going Rogue. That you could totally see coming, but putting him in charge of bringing her back? I broke a little bit.
   I only had one problem with Talon, how we barely got to see any dragon action. Besides the 3 times, we didn't see much. I hope we get to see more in the future books, considering it's supposed to be a dragon book.
   Talon was yet again a fabulous work from Julie, besides a few kinks here and there it was definitely a must read. After a mini book hangover after the ending, I had to pre-order Rogue most definitely. So I look forward to see where Julie takes us next!


Rating:



Favourite Quote:


"They were so terrified of the big nasty monster out in the water, when there was a bigger, nastier, deadlier one right there on the beach." ~ Ember


Recommend to People Who Enjoy: 


Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance, Supernatural, Dragons, Hunters




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!