Monday, May 18, 2015

Book Review: The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Release Date: November 4th, 2014
Read: May 3rd- 4th, 2015
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers 
Series: Mara Dyer, #3
Format: Hardcover, 470 pages
Source: Winnipeg Public Library



Description from GoodReads:


   Mara Dyer wants to believe there's more to the lies she’s been told.
   There is.

   She doesn’t stop to think about where her quest for the truth might lead.
   She should.

   She never had to imagine how far she would go for vengeance.
   She will now.

   Loyalties are betrayed, guilt and innocence tangle, and fate and chance collide in this shocking conclusion to Mara Dyer’s story.

   Retribution has arrived.


Review:


   Sometimes we can only see the truth about ourselves if someone shows us where to look.
   When I talk about the Mara Dyer Trilogy I could never make up any true feelings for the book, well other then completely terrifying. It was terrifying in many ways rather then just one. I loved it, I had yet to meet a book that creeped me out so much and was so unpredictable. The Retribution of Mara Dyer did not do that for me, and I was completely disappointed by it.
   Like I said above, what I liked above the first two books was creepiness and how unpredictable it was. Going into the third book, I expected all of that but didn't receive any. Of course there were little things but they didn't make me feel like how Unbecoming and Evolution made me feel.
   Mara Dyer has powers, that part if obvious and shown to us in the ending of the sequel. With the ending it was you expected the third book to have even more action with Mara's as well as the others powers, nope it did not happen. Jamie used his a lot, and Mara used it once but otherwise that was it, Hodkin didn't even go anywhere with it. It felt as if she made up a bunch of random stuff about them having powers the just dropped it all at the end without and answers. It was very irritating.
    Another thing Hodkin dropped in this book was Mara's family, they were such a big part in the first two books that it felt like without them it was dishonouring them. Just having Daniel didn't count though, we needed all of them.
   Honestly The Retribution of Mara Dyer for me just had so many loose ends, with everything not being answered it felt like Hodkin just rushed everything. In the end I was just so confused by everything, it wasn't unpredictable it was plain random.
   I was not satisfied with The Retribution of Mara Dyer, it did nothing for me like the first two books did. Where I was not happy with this book but I still look forward to the next upcoming books Michelle will write.


Rating:


Favourite Quote:


   "You never know what a person stands to gain or lose by anything." ~ Mara 

   "Like you're the ocean and he's desperate to drown." ~ Jamie


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy, Mystery, Supernatural, Horror






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!