Friday, October 2, 2015

Book Review: Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas

Release Date: September 1st, 2015
Read: September 26th-30th, 2015
Publisher: Bloomsbury Childrens
Series: Throne of Glass, #4
Format: Hardcover, 648 pages
Source: Bought



Description from GoodReads:


  The queen has returned.

   Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she's at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past . . .

   She has embraced her identity as Aelin Galathynius, Queen of Terrasen. But before she can reclaim her throne, she must fight.

   She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die for her. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen's triumphant return.


Review:


Contains Minor Spoilers:

   You light up the darkness.
   After reading Heir of Fire last March, I broke. It ripped me to shreds. I had to put myself back together again after it. Then once I fixed myself, I pre-ordered Queen of Shadows and the wait was on. For a while in August people had gotten their copies early and I thought for sure someone was gonna spoil it for me, but I lucked out and everything went perfect for me.
   Finally my copy came in the mail and I had just started rereading Throne of Glass, so it was perfect timing. Then when I finished Heir of Fire, I was ready to die, or in other words read Queen of Shadows.
   First of all, since Heir of Fire I can't picture Aelin without Rowan. So when the book started without them together my heart cried a little bit. Just kidding, it full on sobbed. Anyway my heart fixed itself about a third of the way through the book. From there on the sauciness only got better and I couldn't believe it. I found myself giggling hysterically every time Aelin and Rowan were alone together, or cried, crying happened too. They had so many perfect moments together, that it was beautiful. The Rowaelin ship, honestly its so precious you just won't understand until you read Queen of Shadows, just wait and see. But yo could also never forget the hot damn moments, because HOT DAMN.
   Where there was a lot of sass between Aelin and Rowan, there was an equal amount of testosterone flowing when Aedion and Rowan were in a room together, both wanting to assert dominance. Let's just say I was practically a pig and was continuously snorting whenever these scenes popped up.
   Aedion! So if you read my Heir of Fire Review then you'd know that in Heir of Fire I found him creepy and a little possessive of Aelin at times, even when he didn't even know if she was alive or not. I'm happy to say that my feelings towards him changed with Queen of Shadows. Where he was still very possessive of her, he did it within reason because he knew she could take care of herself. Then there's that little fact of his parentage, oh boy. I do hope Maas takes that further, it will be tremendously exciting to see what unfolds from there!
   I got the chills when it came to reading Dorians parts, the first time I read chapter one I didn't even realize it was him until I reread it. Poor Dorian, I feel like that's what dementia does to a person on some levels. So I deeply concerned, to be trapped with no control of yourself.
   FINALLY WE GOT SOME KICK ASS GIRLS. After Crown of Midnight with Nehemia dying, we were left with no female companion for Aelin. Don't get me wrong I loved Nehemia and no one could have replaced her, but I felt bad for Aelin she really just needed a girlfriend. Queen of Shadows gave me the companions that I knew Aelin needed, she got not just one but two girlfriends. (Maybe even three? Who knows yet.)  I don't think Aelin could have done better in picking friends if I didn't say so myself.
   Awe my babe Manon, I've become obsessed with her since I originally finished Heir of Fire. She's badass and fierce in all the ways Aelin is not. She went through a rather large character development in the book that hopefully has lead her to be her own person now and stand up to her Grandmother. I loved how she turned out, and I'm SUPER excited to see what Maas has in mind for Manon and her (Maybe?) special someone.
   One of my favourite scenes in the book would have to be the battle scene between Aelin and Manon, it showed the two sides coming together showing us just how deadly they were, their strengths and weaknesses. Honestly I can't wait to see if they battle again in the future or if they fight side by side. With the direction Manon took in Queen of Shadows I wouldn't be surprised if the latter happened, I'm rather hoping for it.
   WHAT A PLOT TWIST THAT WAS AT THE END. I couldn't believe it when we learnt the truth about the King, I don't think Aelin or Dorian did either with that ending. As much as I wanted to forgive the King for what he'd done, you just couldn't. One mistake can't fix the damage he'd done. I was glad to hear of what happened though, honestly it made a bunch of sense if you think through the series.
   Sarah J Maas stole my heart with Queen of Shadows, it has definitely become my favourite of the series and if I wasn't hooked before for whatever reason I am now. Maas has mastered the art of keeping you second guessing what you think you know, and what you assume is going to happen, the perfect balance that locks you into the book and never letting you go. She has mastered it to an art that iT ACTUALLY GAVE ME CHEST PAINS.
   2016 can't come fast enough, I now live off of Sarah J Maas books and need to feed my addiction. The sequel to A Court of Thorns and Roses is ret to release May 3rd, 2016 an the 5th novel in the Throne of Glass series is set to release Fall 2016. Let's just hope I can survive until then.


Rating:



Favourite Quotes:


"She was a wolf. She was death, devourer of worlds."

"He'd never realized how precious the calm moments were." ~ Rowan

"We're not going to hell, Aelin. But wherever we go, we'll go together." ~ Rowan


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, High Fantasy, Magic, Fairies, CHEST PAINS.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!