Friday, November 6, 2015

Book Review: Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick

Release Date: November 10th, 2015
Read: June 10-16th, 2015
Publisher: Simon & Shuster Books for Young Readers
Format: ARC, 400 pages
Source: Publisher in exchange for honest review



Description from GoodReads:


   Stella Gordon is not her real name. Thunder Basin, Nebraska, is not her real home. This is not her real life.

   After witnessing a lethal crime, Stella Gordon is sent to the middle of nowhere for her own safety before she testifies against the man she saw kill her mother’s drug dealer.

   But Stella was about to start her senior year with the boyfriend she loves. How can she be pulled away from the only life she knows and expected to start a new one in Nebraska? Stella chafes at her protection and is rude to everyone she meets. She’s not planning on staying long, so why be friendly? Then she meets Chet Falconer and it becomes harder to keep her guard up, even as her guilt about having to lie to him grows.

   As Stella starts to feel safer, the real threat to her life increases—because her enemies are actually closer than she thinks…


Review:


   I feared my dreams.
   I loved Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush series, and have since 2009 when Hush, Hush released. When Black Ice was announced and the ARCs were sent out, I wanted one so badly. But as time went on I ended not getting one and still haven't read it yet. Oops. Eventually Dangerous Lies became a thing, and so not waiting a minute I requested an ARC from the Publisher, and the ARC gods were giving!
   I knew when I began reading Dangerous Lies that it would be different from Fitzpatrick's original series. This one was Contemporary, unlike Hush, Hush which was paranormal. I've never read a thriller type of contemporary before, and where normally I don't enjoy contemporary I really enjoyed this one. Because of Dangerous Lies I now know I like a whole new genre of YA and so I'm very excited for what I'll pick up next.
   I live in Central Canada, so most of the time 'the country' is just a huge green field that goes on for miles. I really enjoyed the Nebraska Country feel, it was not something that I experience everyday. So it really pulled me in!
   Throughout the book we'd get these little messages from Reed, Estella's boyfriend from before Nebraska. I thought they were very cute and enjoyed them immensely, but I also found them unnecessary. We only encounter Reed once in the novel, that being the beginning of the novel, after that we didn't see or hear from him again. The messages themselves were past messages, not even related to the plot. So in the end, besides him being apart of Estella's old life, I found Reed necessary as well.
   Finally, my weakness, the strong independent main character. Estella/Stella I just loved her, snarky, confident and a little stubborn. One could just love the story because of her.
   Becca Fitzpatrick out did herself with Dangerous Lies, thrillers are definitely her strong suit. After this, I am obviously going to have to pick up Black Ice and give it a read, along with any other Thrillers she writes!


Rating:



Favourite Quote:


   " When you care, you have something to lose." ~ Reed


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Contemporary, Thriller, Mystery, Romance, Murder, Drugs, Country




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!