Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Be First Book Club: Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys


   As most of you know, roughly a little bit less than a year ago I discovered McNally Robinson, a local independent bookstore in my city. With more or less discovering it, I also was introduced to it's Two Thumbs Up Program, a program where they give out ARCs to reviewers who in return give an honest opinion about the book for them to post on their site. So I've been doing that for a long time now, it's pretty much where I get all my fabulous ARCs. Anyways, I was really letting you guys know about this because in the end it the person in charge let me know about their Be First Book Club. Where once a month they hold a meeting for maybe 10 readers who, roughly a month before received an ARC to read for the club. Last Thursday my sister and I went to our first meeting! 

   For the month of January our book was Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys, it was a contemporary historical fiction. It actually connected to her debut novel, Between Shades of Grey if any of you have read that one. It was a very informational and grim read.

   We went from discussing the seriousness of WW2 to the creepiness of one of the main characters. Overall it was a more serious discussion because of the topic.
   Being my first meeting, I was not expecting the turn out that we got but I was impressed with the passion that the readers had for the book. I hadn't been in a large group of bookish people in a while, so it was lovely to be able to experience that love for books again.

   Next month's ARC is Riders by Veronica Rossi, the meeting is going to be on the 18th of February.  So expect a post a little after that date! I just know these book clubs are going to be something to look forward to each month!

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys


Release Date: February 2nd, 2016
Publisher: Philomel Books
Series: N/A
Format: Hardcover, 400 pages



Description from GoodReads:




   In 1945, World War II is drawing to a close in East Prussia, and thousands of refugees are on a desperate trek toward freedom, almost all of them with something to hide. Among them are  Joana, Emilia, and Florian, whose paths converge en route to the ship that promises salvation, the Wilhelm Gustloff. Forced by circumstance to unite, the three find their strength, courage, and trust in each other tested with each step closer toward safety.

   Just when it seems freedom is within their grasp, tragedy strikes. Not country, nor culture, nor status matter as all ten thousand people aboard must fight for the same thing: survival.


Check out Ohana Reads' Review of Salt to the Sea.



   Are you in any book clubs? What about book discussion groups? I'd love to hear about them if you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!