Thursday, January 7, 2016

Book Review: Fairest by Marissa Meyer

Release Date: January 27th, 2015
Read: December 31st, 2015 - January 1st, 2016
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Series: The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5
Format: Hardcover, 220 pages
Source: Gift



Description from GoodReads:


   Mirror, mirror on the wall, 
   Who is the fairest of them all?

   Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now. 


   Marissa Meyer spins yet another unforgettable tale about love and war, deceit and death. This extraordinary book includes full-color art and an excerpt from Winter, the next book in the Lunar Chronicles series. 


Review:


   Here is what I think of love.
   After receiving Cress in February 2014, I thought for sure we'd get Winter the following year around the same time. Unfortunately news spread that Winter was not to be released until November, but we got Fairest as a surprise instead. At first I was a bit sceptical of Fairest, with my dislike of novellas. But after hearing that it'd be a full length book, and knowing that we'd get a good look into the life of Levana, I just knew Fairest would be a keeper.
   Villains always have a reason for being villains, Levana is no different. Tortured her whole life by her older sister, literally, she did not have any friends, and she didn't have any love from her parents. She grew up a misunderstood girl and grew to not know what love truly was.
    I think that ones view on Levana in Fairest could have gone one of two different ways, you either felt disgusted by her or pitted her. For me it was a little bit of both. To me, Levana is a broken human being. All she wanted in her life was to be love, or even acknowledged. Growing up without these things taught her to be in ways ruthless, and not learn the true meaning of everything. In the end she forced a man to love her, ruining him and his daughters lives, and attempting to murder a child for selfishness.
   Levana's life has helped me learn and understand her actions in the main books of the Lunar Chronicles, her story even helped me understand little actions that occurred in Cress. After reading Fairest, I know I'll be better off when going into Winter.
   Fairest was tense and pitiful read of the story of Levana's life, the book was definitely something I needed, even though I never knew I did. By reading Fairest you'll start to see both sides in a different light. Picking up a copy will probably be one of the best decisions you ever made.
 

Rating:



Favourite Quote:


"I know you bear the weight more than anyone." 

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Retellings,  Fairy Tales, Dystopian, Futuristic Worlds, Royalty, Magic


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!