Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Book Review: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Release Date: October 22nd, 2013
Read: March 23rd -April 22nd, 2014
Publisher: Disney- Hyperion
Series: The Darkest Minds, #1
Format: Paperback, 488 pages
Source: Bought




Description from GoodReads:



   When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something frightening enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that got her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that had killed most of America’s children, but she and the others emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they could not control.

   Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. She is on the run, desperate to find the only safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who have escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents. When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at having a life worth living.' to

Review:


   I'm afraid of how much I don't know.
   I had heard about The Darkest Minds series by Alexandra Bracken, so very long ago. Time went by and then I found myself with an ARC of Never Fade, the sequel to The Darkest Minds, but I still hadn't picked up the series to read. It wasn't until I was leaving for my school trip and needed something to read that I went finally and picked up the first book.
   Starting the book I instantly got dija vu, like I'd read a book similar to this one before. Children suddenly getting powers, I'd just felt like I've seen it before. Fortunately that didn't stop me from continuing on with the story.
   I loved how The Darkest Minds had so many things going on in the story all at once, the objective to get to Slip Kid, the ongoing chase of the four, on the road to get away from Cate and the League, and from the PSF's, it all created an adventurous read that even with the slightest addition to the game board making it all that more interesting. And that's exactly what happened at the end of the novel, making the cliffhanger more unbearable.
   I loved Ruby, even with her rough situation of her powers, especially when they caused her to loose so many important things in her life, she stood strong and would always try to keep Zu, Chubs and Liam safe. Her need to protect them made her all that more of an admirable character.
   I also enjoyed reading about Liam, he reminded me a lot of one of my closest friends, so I would always picture them the same.
   I'm glad I finally got around to reading The Darkest Minds, It was an exciting fast paced read that I would recommend to anyone in need of a  little bit of adventure. Now onto Never Fade!
   

Rating:


Favourite Quote:


"The Darkest Minds tend to hide behind the most unlikely faces."


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Sci Fi, Dystopian, Apocalyptic, super powers, chosen ones, mutations, diseases

1 comment:

  1. I've been seeing this book and reading good things about it. I'm quite scared to pick this up though. My fear generally comes from not liking it as much as every one else.. It's nice to know that you enjoyed this. Great review!

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!