Monday, April 18, 2016

DNF Book Review: This is the Story of You by Beth Kephart

Release Date: April 12th, 2016
Read: April 11th-14th, 2016
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Series: N/A
Format: ARC, 264 pages
Source: McNally Robinson/ Be First Book Club



Description from GoodReads:


   On Haven, a six-mile long, half-mile-wide stretch of barrier island, Mira Banul and her Year-Rounder friends have proudly risen to every challenge. But when a superstorm defies all predictions and devastates the island, when it strands Mira’s mother and brother on the mainland and upends all logic, nothing will ever be as it was. A stranger appears in the wreck of Mira’s home. A friend obsessed with vanishing is gone. As the mysteries deepen, Mira must find the strength to carry on—to somehow hold her memories in place while learning to trust a radically reinvented future.


   Gripping and poetic, This Is the Story of You is about the beauty of nature and the power of family, about finding hope in the wake of tragedy and recovery in the face of overwhelming loss.

Review:


   The sea comes and the sea goes.
   After reading the description for This is The Story of You I can honestly say that I wasn't all that interested. Because it was April's Be First Book Club book, I decided to give it a try. My first instinct was correct.
   The idea of a hurricane story was interesting, so I held onto that going through the novel. But within the first few pages, I noticed a few things. Kephert likes to describe things by just listing multiple things, over and over. First you'd be talking about bird watching then it would list things until you ended up in a basement. I found this particular descriptive style to be odd, and annoying. But continued on.
   I continued on to about 130 pages, where the story had just started to pick up. Thinking it would get better from there, I continued on once more. 20 pages more and I was still annoyed by Kepharts writing style, and the fact that nothing had really happened yet.
   I DNF'd This is the Story of You at roughly 56%, and will probably not be picking it up again in the future.

Rating:


Favourite Quote:


"Only thing in this world isn't replaceable is people."

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Contemporary, Mystery, Survival, Islands, Hurricanes 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!