Saturday, September 10, 2016

Book Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Release Date: February 10th, 2015
Read: September 1st-3rd, 2016
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: Red Queen, #1
Format: Hardcover, 383 pages
Source: Bought





Description from GoodReads:


   This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.
   The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.
   That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.

   Fearful of Mare’s potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.

   But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance – Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart.


Review:


   This power can destroy if I let it.
   I remember being super excited for Red Queen, back when ARCs were making their way around in 2014. I thought for sure that I would head to the store on release day and pick it up. Of course being me, I ended up putting it off. Then Glass Sword was released and well, I still hadn't picked up Red Queen. It wasn't until March of after Glass Sword's release that I finally picked both of them up while my family visited the US for a quick trip, and then only actually read them recently...
   Red Queen reminded me of a bunch of books put together to create one book. The biggest relation I found was to The Selection by Kiera Cass. The poverty, the many siblings, suddenly moving to the castle to have luxury things. It was 383 pages of comparing the two books.
   I am completely in love with the different colour blood, maybe not so much the discrimination between the two, but the properties of the two sets of blood themselves. I really liked reading the descriptions of when the Silver blood's blushed, and stuff like that. After reading the book for a bit, you forget about their different blood, and so little differences like blushing were super interesting to read about. Or at least in my opinion, I thought so.
   I think Red Queen is the first book I've read where it was a love square, instead of a love triangle. It didn't really last long though, the number of love interests dwindles down but I still find it interesting that Aveyard decided to switch things up that way.
   Besides the similarities between a few other novels, Red Queen was a fast paced, magically read. I whipped through it pretty fast, so I will be picking up the sequel right away.

Rating:



Favourite Quote:

"My darkness will save them."

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Dystopian, Romance, Magic, Royalty, The Selection series 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!