Friday, April 10, 2020

Book Review: The Betrothed by Kiera Cass

Release Date: May 5, 2020
Read: February 28-29th, 2020
Publisher: HarperCollin's Children's Books
Series: The Betrothed, #1
Format: ARC, 400 pages
Source: McNally Robinson



Description from GoodReads:


When King Jameson declares his love for Lady Hollis Brite, Hollis is shocked—and thrilled. After all, she’s grown up at Keresken Castle, vying for the king’s attention alongside other daughters of the nobility. Capturing his heart is a dream come true.

But Hollis soon realizes that falling in love with a king and being crowned queen may not be the happily ever after she thought it would be. And when she meets a commoner with the mysterious power to see right into her heart, she finds that the future she really wants is one that she never thought to imagine. 



Review:


Contains minor spoilers:

   Every day is the best one I've had until I meet tomorrow.
   I've been huge fan of Kiera Cass since The Selection released in 2012 when I had picked it up by chance from the Library. Ever since, I've owned every single one of her books, The Betrothed included. When I had heard that Kiera Cass was releasing a new book, I was so excited, then when I heard it was going to be another royalty book? Ecstatic.

   It's been eight years since The Selection, in that time my tastes have changed. When I started reading The Betrothed it was not the same joyful experience that I had when I first read The Selection.

   I found myself enjoying Cass's writing and getting sucked into her words like her previous books, but unlike the others, I could not for the life of me find any spark of romance between Hollis and any of the male characters. With America and Maxon, it was the wholesomeness and tension of their relationship that held me captive, with Hollis and Silas, there was nothing. I didn't even feel like I knew Silas at all, there was nothing for me to root for him to get the girl.  It was rather disappointing.

   The plot itself was also weak and somewhat predictable. At this point in time, I can already guess what will be the big surprise for the sequel. I wanted more.

   The Betrothed was not the book I was expecting, and not in a good way. In the end, I still enjoyed Kiera Cass's writing and would pick up the sequel for that alone, but they story itself was just not for me. Saying that, I would still recommend this book to new readers of young adult. Tweens. It's perfect for tweens who have yet had the opportunity to read as many young adult titles as I have.

   I'm not sure what to expect from the sequel, but I guess we'll see what happens when the book is announced.

Rating:


Favourite Quote:


"If I was going to go up in flames, it would be my own doing."

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, The Selection, Royalty, Kings, Queens


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!