Monday, May 12, 2014

Book Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Release Date: September 10th, 2013
Read: May 4-12th, 2014
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Series: N/A
Format: Hardcover, 438 pages
Source: Bought



Description from GoodReads:


Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan.... But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she's really good at it. She and her twin, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fanfiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath's sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can't let go. She doesn't want to.

Now that they're going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn't want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She's got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend; a fiction-writing professor who thinks fanfiction is the end of the civilized world; a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words...and she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind



Review:


What the fuck is 'the fandom'?
   When I first picked up Fangirl and read the summery I had thought "Will this be me when I'm older?" I'm a teen blogger, I live in the now and can't possibly know what the future holds for me. But you can't help but wonder where you'll be in the future. While reading I constantly kept comparing myself to Cather. She's a girl who tends to prefer the company of herself, her fans and her fictional characters, and every once and a while her sister. Cather doesn't like to leave her comfort zone, I find myself in the same situations a lot. Unless I'm put in a position, I prefer to like being alone with my laptop or books as well. My mother's the same, Cather's father was also the same. It made me think on occasion that we've gained these traits from our parents, wither for good or for worse I'm not sure. Either way I could see myself ending up in a similar school wise and writing position when I'm older. 
   I had a soft spot for Cather's Fan Fiction, she was doing what she enjoyed and in the meantime slowly gaining skills for her career when she becomes older. She would practice her grammar, punctuation, spelling with her writing, and even better she was practicing her writing. Not many people know how to build characters and plots like she could. I still haven't developed these skills yet, never less I can never push myself to actually write stories or even to set myself up a schedule for writing a post or two on Ohana Reads. Cather writes writes thousands of words a day, to become a major in the English language that is really important. 
   Besides Cather's writing and Cather herself there were many intriguing characters and scenes in this book. I love myself some Levi, he was one of the sweetest characters in the book, he made me gush and everything. The way he was converted into a book nerd for his girlfriend was just adorable, I think everyone should have a Levi that's for sure. Reagan was another favourite of mine, underneath her 'I don't care about anything' persona was a girl who would do anything for her friends, even when it evolved 'nerdy' things.
   Fangirl made me want to get out of the slumps and actually get to writing stories, maybe fan fiction or maybe even my own stories. It's an adorable read, and I think many people will be able to relate to Cather and maybe even Wren the other twin. It is a definite read for 'Fangirls' and fanboys ever.
   I've also heard many good things about Rainbows other novel, Eleanor and Park, I'll just have to read it now as well! 

Rating:




Favourite Quote:

"She climbed between his knees, and he put his arms around her, pulling her close. She felt  his chin on the back of her head."

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:

Young Adult, Romance, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, New Adult, Woman's Fiction, Academic 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!