Saturday, July 26, 2014

Book Review: The One by Kiera Cass

Release Date: May 6th, 2014
Read: July 17th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: The Selection, #3
Format: Paperback, 336 pages
Source: Bought



Description from GoodReads:


The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown--or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose--and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants



Review:


Contains Spoilers:

I'll love you until my very last breath.
   The Selection was just a random book I'd picked up to read for a camping trip a couple months after it had been released. I couldn't put it down! I was done within a few hours, to make it better my sister had just finished her book so I had thrown The Selection at her. It was her first book she's eve finished within a day. We were hooked. The Elite was pre-ordered the minute we got home, and the wait was on. The release came and went and the wait was once again on for The One.
  The One was beautifully written like the rest of the series was. I love Kiera's writing, when she writes about the girls, especially America she writes her character as always doubting herself. Teenagers now a days are always doubting themselves, their clothes, their make up, all of it. Kiera gave us characters we could relate too. Besides being a prince or princess of course.
   Some things that bothered me was that there were a few unnecessary parts/scenes added to the book. For one the rebels, I understand that the selection might not have been enough to keep our full attention, that we might have needed something else to spice things up. But the way the rebels were written in were fine, especially in The Elite, but the way they concluded in The One made some parts unnecessary. Like why were the Northerns stealing the books from the library? I understand that they were looking for the Iléa diaries, but wouldn't they have know right away if they were not the diaries?    Another scene was America's father left her a note with hints saying he was a Northern rebel, unless Kiera had planned to do something with that knowledge later,(Which she didn't) there was no use for it.
   Then finally when Maxon found out about Aspen, I know it was bound to happen but the way the scene was handled could have been changed. I felt that Maxon may have blown it a bit out of proportion. He would have been a heartbroken and angry, but unless he had the temper of his father, he took it a bit too far.
   Even though I've always been Team Aspen, I'm fond of the way the series ended. Everything was nicely put together and everyone had their happily ever after, except for the select few. I'm happy that we even got to read about the white dress!
   I can't wait for Kiera's next big hit to be announced! For now I'll just have to get my hands on her stand alone book The Siren.

Rating:




Favourite Quote:


"The best people all have some kind of scar." ~ America

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Dystopian, Romance, Sci-Fi, Princesses





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!