Friday, December 12, 2014

Book Review: Stone Cold Touch by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Release Date: October 21st, 2014
Read: December 1st, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Series: The Darkest Elements #2
Format: Signed Paperback, 446 pages
Source: Bought



Description from GoodReads:


   Every touch has its price

   Layla Shaw is trying to pick up the pieces of her shattered life—no easy task for a seventeen-year-old who’s pretty sure things can’t get worse. Her impossibly gorgeous best friend, Zayne, is forever off-limits thanks to the mysterious powers of her soul-stealing kiss. The Warden clan that has always protected her is suddenly keeping dangerous secrets. And she can barely think about Roth, the wickedly hot demon prince who understood her in ways no one else could.

   But sometimes rock bottom is only the beginning. Because suddenly Layla’s powers begin to evolve, and she’s offered a tantalizing taste of what has always been forbidden. Then, when she least expects it, Roth returns, bringing news that could change her world forever. She’s finally getting what she always wanted, but with hell literally breaking loose and the body count adding up, the price may be higher than Layla is willing to pay… 


Review:


I would know if a part of my heart was gone.
    White Hot Kiss was my first Jennifer L. Armentrout book, and I adored it. Once again full of sauciness, it's safe to say I was prepared for Stone Cold Touch. After WHK, all of Jennifer's books were automatic buys. 
   I've always been a sucker for best friends since birth relationships, so at the beginning of WHK you could say I was Team Zayne right away. But then we met Roth and he pulled at our hearts with everything he had and won me over in a snap. After that and the little heartbreak we had at the end of WHK I thought I'd forever be Team Roth. Of course Jennifer had to go and mess my heart up with SCT, now I am borderline and don't know what to do with myself. I wouldn't know what to do if I was Layla, so I can't judge the girl for wanting a little bit of both at the same time. I could go on and on about my likes about each hunk or about their flaws but for now I'm firmly going to say I'm Team Bambi because dang, this is the hardest decision ever.
   Besides both hunks we encountered throughout the book, I can once again say so much about Jennifer's writing. I adore her writing style, the way she practically morphs into a teenager and knows our humour, how we live and act and all of our insecurities. I feel like I am one with the book or I am the character when I read her books, which is exactly how I felt when I read SCT. I finished this book in entirely one day, I may or not have read during my teachers lectures or hid away from my friends and read through out the day, but we'll never know.
   Jennifer is also once again not afraid to show us the hormonal side of teenagers. When authors write Young Adult books you expect them to be in the life of teenagers. Where not all teenagers do or think of sex on a daily basis there are a lot of teens who do or have. So when Jennifer writes scenes like she does it actually feels nice to think she isn't sugar coating it and hiding it from readers. Us young adults have had our experience with drinking, drugs or sex. etc. I find it's better to be able to talk about it then leave it hidden where we can never learn from other's mistakes and end up making the same ones ourselves. So props to Jennifer for that.
   Once again I adore the wardens, we may not always get a sense of what they are but the thought of gargoyles make me happy. I grew up with them on TV or on local buildings, mythologies are my thing so learning the mythologies or hearing stories about them is really exciting for me. I hope we learn more about the gargoyles in Every Last Breath.
   Lastly, Layla is once again having boy troubles and I feel deeply for her in SCT. I don't know what she's going to, but I'm certainly routing for her!
   Stone Cold Touch was a favourite of 2014 and I'm 100% buying Every Last Breath when it comes out July 2015. This book killed me, brought me back then killed me again, so let me say this. Everyone out there who still hasn't read White Hot Kiss. YOU ARE MSSING OUT ON LIFE. Go get it now. Go. Now. You are missing out. You're not even alive yet.

Ohana Reads Review of White Hot Kiss.



Rating:



Favourite Quote:


   " I don't deserve you." ~ Layla
   " See that's where you are wrong... that's where you've always been wrong. You deserve everything." ~ Zayne


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal, New Adult, Gargoyles, Demons, Lilith





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!