Friday, July 8, 2016

Book Review: And I Darken by Kiersten White

Release Date: June 28th, 2016
Read: June 9th-25th, 2016
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Series: The Conquerors Saga, #1
Format:ARC, 484 pages
Source: Gift from Brittany's Book Rambles



Description from GoodReads:


   No one expects a princess to be brutal. And Lada Dragwlya likes it that way. Ever since she and her gentle younger brother, Radu, were wrenched from their homeland of Wallachia and abandoned by their father to be raised in the Ottoman courts, Lada has known that being ruthless is the key to survival. She and Radu are doomed to act as pawns in a vicious game, an unseen sword hovering over their every move. For the lineage that makes them special also makes them targets.

   Lada despises the Ottomans and bides her time, planning her vengeance for the day when she can return to Wallachia and claim her birthright. Radu longs only for a place where he feels safe. And when they meet Mehmed, the defiant and lonely son of the sultan, Radu feels that he’s made a true friend—and Lada wonders if she’s finally found someone worthy of her passion.


   But Mehmed is heir to the very empire that Lada has sworn to fight against—and that Radu now considers home. Together, Lada, Radu, and Mehmed form a toxic triangle that strains the bonds of love and loyalty to the breaking point

Review:


   Let her be strong. Let her be sly. Let her be ugly.
   I had missed out of getting And I Darken at BookCon 2016, for the Be First event. Fortunately for me, a good friend of mine, Brittany from Brittany's Book Rambles had an extra copy that she was willing to send me. Where I had wanted to read And I Darken because of its hype, I had also read White's previously released books, and enjoyed those quite a bit. With this one taking a bit of a different route than where the previous books had gone, I didn't enjoy And I Darken as much as I did the others.
   I felt like the book was missing it's hook that connected me to the story, I never felt like I was actually there witnessing the story take place. I felt more like I was a stranger watching from afar. The story felt so slow to a point where I was literally dreading having to finish it, it took me a month to almost read the whole thing.
   I also felt that the story having taken place over such a long period of time made things worse, in fact I think it's what made the story feel so long in the first place. I couldn't connect with the characters because their ages were constantly changing, until they weren't, and I wasn't able to recall what age they ended with.
   And I Darken, was a very well researched novel with its historical accurateness , but it was not for me. Depending on the circumstances, I do not see myself picking up it's sequel in the future.


Rating:


Favourite Quote:


"When you have something someone else wants, there is always an element of power." 

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Romance, Kingdoms, Ottoman Empire



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!