Thursday, January 23, 2020

Book Review: Infinity Son by Adam Silvera

Release Date: January 14, 2020
Read: January 14th-22nd, 2020
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: Infinity Cycle, #1
Format: ARC, 368 pages
Source: Publisher in exchange for honest review




Description from GoodReads:


Growing up in New York, brothers Emil and Brighton always idolized the Spell Walkers—a vigilante group sworn to rid the world of specters. While the Spell Walkers and other celestials are born with powers, specters take them, violently stealing the essence of endangered magical creatures.

Brighton wishes he had a power so he could join the fray. Emil just wants the fighting to stop. The cycle of violence has taken a toll, making it harder for anyone with a power to live peacefully and openly. In this climate of fear, a gang of specters has been growing bolder by the day.

Then, in a brawl after a protest, Emil manifests a power of his own—one that puts him right at the heart of the conflict and sets him up to be the heroic Spell Walker Brighton always wanted to be.

Brotherhood, love, and loyalty will be put to the test, and no one will escape the fight unscathed. 


Review:


How is this not a nightmare?
Adam Silvera is back with something brilliant and new for the first time since 2018. Where Adam's past books have been heartbreaking contemporary stories, some in alternative worlds, this is his first fantasy. Obviously I was excited for Infinity Son, as it is Adam Silvera, but I wasn't sure what to expect. When my best friend came to me raving about it, I knew I had nothing to worry about. 

As much as I heard about Infinity Son, for some reason my brain didn't link into the fact that it's a superhero book, until I literally started reading it. Like my love for Renegades by Marissa Meyer, I love fresh takes on superheroes. As much as I love Marvel and DC, their stories are a bit overdone. Books like Infinity Son, with new kinds of superpowers and characters, open new doors for fans of superheroes. 

I'm obsessed with anything magical creatures, some more than others. So when phoenixes, hydras, ghosts and more, were repeatedly brought up in the book, I was in awe. I feel like we've only touched on some of the creatures in Infinity Son, particularly when going through the museum. I hope the sequel gives us more backstory on them all. 

Like, They Both Die at the End, Infinity Son had multiple perspectives, some smaller and some larger.  In this case, I loved Emil's perspective and absolutely HATED Brighton. I can not explain how much his character annoyed me. As much as I hated him, his character still made for a really interesting story.  Emil, you wanted to pity him, where Brighton wanted you to pity him.

I really did enjoy Infinity Son, and I can't wait to recommend it to people, but I still found it slightly predictable. The predictability ruined the cliffhanger for me, and because of this, the book didn't live up to it's full potential. 

I hope the wait for Infinity Son's sequel isn't too long, as I'm excited to see where Adam takes us next with this story. 

Rating:


Favourite Quote:


"You crave the spotlight so badly, go ahead and give us a smile."

Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Adam Silvera, Superheroes, Magical Creatures, Phoenixes, Renegades


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!