Sunday, January 19, 2020

Book Review: The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller

Release Date: February 25, 2020
Read: October 20-22th, 2019
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Series: Standalone
Format: ARC, 336 pages
Source: McNally Robinson


Description from GoodReads:
Alessandra is tired of being overlooked, but she has a plan to gain power:

1) Woo the Shadow King.
2) Marry him.
3) Kill him and take his kingdom for herself.

No one knows the extent of the freshly crowned Shadow King’s power. Some say he can command the shadows that swirl around him to do his bidding. Others say they speak to him, whispering the thoughts of his enemies. Regardless, Alessandra knows what she deserves, and she’s going to do everything within her power to get it.


But Alessandra’s not the only one trying to kill the king. As attempts on his life are made, she finds herself trying to keep him alive long enough for him to make her his queen—all while struggling not to lose her heart. After all, who better for a Shadow King than a cunning, villainous queen?



Review:


And now I fear the king is taking me somewhere to kill me
Oh my gosh, this book was utterly magical. Tricia Levenseller is slowly teaching me to love fantasy standalones. I'm so used to trilogies or longer series these days, so these standalones are just so refreshing.

There were so many things I loved about The Shadows Between Us, one of my favourites included how open Alessandra was about her sexuality. How she knew what she wanted, and no man's opinion would get in the way of that. I think this aspect made the book a little too mature for some teen readers, but nevertheless, I loved how empowering she was.

Alessandra gave off villain vibes throughout the entire book, which I adored, but what made it even better was that Kallias gave off those vibes too. The Shadows Between Us is a villain falling in love with a villain book, and I could not be more excited for everyone else to read about them.

The final thing that had me thriving throughout the book was Alessandra's sense of style. Outfits don't tend to be an important part to teen stories, especially when you're trying to save the world. It was such an unexpected surprise to have our badass murderous protagonist be in love with style. I've never understood why characters can't save the world while looking badass.

The Shadows Between Us has easily become my favourite Tricia Levenseller novel, and although I don't recommend it to younger teens, I do hope people pick it up if they're looking for a murderous standalone fantasy. 

Rating:


Favourite Quote:


"My little hellion. Quite the force to be reckoned with, aren't you?"


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:

Young Adult, Fantasy, Mystery, Murder, Handsome princes, Sass, and Fake Dating Troupe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!