Friday, October 10, 2014

Book Review: Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Release Date: November 18th, 2008
Read: August 17, 2014
Publisher: Mira
Series: Study #1
Format: Paperback, 416 pages
Source: Bought.


Description from GoodReads:


   Choose: A quick death…Or slow poison...

   About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace—and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

   And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust—and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

   As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear..

Review:


Contains Minor Spoiler:

   Trusting is hard. Knowing who to trust, even harder.
   I had first found Poison Study in a local used book store by my High School that I often visit. Almost all of Maria's Chronicles of Ixia series was there, with all the covers being so pretty and the summery's sounding so interesting I just and to pick up the first copy. It was shortly after that my blogger friends started to fangirl over it on Twitter, it was then that I knew I had made the right choice in buying the book.
   I instantly captivated by Poison Study from the moment I read the summery. A food tester? That was new to me. I enjoyed the thought of becoming a master of the poisons. While Yelena learnt to master poisons, she was still under the control of them as well. Yalek, the poisons master, sure had found a brilliant way of making sure prisoners stay.
   No matter how strong Yalek or any of the other characters were, I found Yelena the strongest. She was an orphan who was abused, tortured and raped but yet she stood tall. The message about rape in this book was a strong one, besides the fact that she killed her rapist, Yelena showed readers that a woman shouldn't have to lay down and let a man do whatever he wants with her. Woman have as much right to be respected as men do, she even showed us that a woman can stand up for herself. I very much enjoyed Yelena as a character and can't wait to see more of her in the next novels.
   Poison Study enchanting read and I look forward to Magic Study, the sequel to The Chronicles of Ixia series and the Study series by Maria V. Snyder. 



Rating:



Favourite Quote:

“You have slipped under my skin, invaded my blood, and seized my heart. You have poisoned me.” ~ Valek


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Adventure, Sci Fi, High Fantasy, Mystery





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!