Saturday, June 13, 2015

Book Review: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Release Date: January 30th, 2014
Read: May 1st- June 2nd, 2015
Publisher: Black Swan
Format: UK Paperback, 560 pages (Wrong cover for edition)
Source: Won


Description from GoodReads:


HERE IS A SMALL FACT - YOU ARE GOING TO DIE

   1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier.
Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall.

SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATION - THIS NOVEL IS NARRATED BY DEATH

It's a small story, about:
a girl
an accordionist
some fanatical Germans
a Jewish fist fighter
and quite a lot of thievery.

ANOTHER THING YOU SHOULD KNOW - DEATH WILL VISIT THE BOOK THIEF THREE TIMES 


Review:


   I am haunted by humans.
   The Book Thief is on the list of books you have to read before you die, it's just a must. I had originally won a copy to read, but I just never picked it up. It wasn't until it became an assigned book to read in my english class that I ended up reading it.
    The Book Thief has a very originally idea that I adored, the book is narrated by Death. The idea itself has so much potential, I just couldn't stop thinking about it. Incorporating it with World War Two made the storyline just that much more interesting. Now a days you can find so many different books based on WW1 or WW2 and not be surprised with the outcome, because at this point everyone knows what happened. With Zusak's new twist it didn't matter if you already knew what happened, you wanted to stick around and see how it would end anyway.
   Zusak's writing was beautiful, I felt myself connect with the book. I really liked how he would straight out tell us a simple fact that occurred in the future, thus "spoiling" it for us but would keep us there by not giving us the whole story to it. (Ex. Say someone would die, but not tell us how.)
   All the WW2 stories give me butterflies but not in a good way, my family being from Germany I've personally heard the horrors of what happened in the war. So every time I read about the topic I find myself thinking of my families tragedies. Where normally I stay away from the topic, it was a nice twist to read The Book Thief. Also being able to read the german words and know what they meant was fun as well.
   The Book Thief was a heart breaking novel, it broke me, took a break then went back to breaking me. I'm really glad I gave it a try and who knows? Perhaps I'll pick up another one of Zusak's novels soon.


Rating:



Favourite Quote:


   "The stars set fires to my eyes." - Max

   "The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.”


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Adult Reads, Historical Fiction, War, World War 2, Holocaust




2 comments:

  1. I finished the book few weeks back but could not bring myself to write a review. simply because I didn't know how to. I still don't. I like it when someone puts the words as they are in my head! nice review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!