Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Book Review: Storm by Amanda Sun

Release Date: June 30th, 2015
Read: July 13th-15th, 2015
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Series: The Paper Gods, #3
Format: Paperback, 304 pages
Source: Bought



Description from GoodReads:


   After almost a year in Japan, Katie Greene has finally unearthed the terrible secret behind her boyfriend Tomohiro's deadly ability to bring drawings to life—not only is he descended from Kami, the ancient Japanese gods, but he is the heir to a tragedy that occurred long ago, a tragedy that is about to repeat. 


   Even as the blood of a vengeful god rages inside Tomo, Katie is determined to put his dark powers to sleep. In order to do so, she and Tomo must journey to find the three Imperial Treasures of Japan. Gifts from the goddess Amaterasu herself, these treasures could unlock all of the secrets about Tomo's volatile ancestry and quell the ink's lust for destruction. But in order to complete their quest, Tomo and Katie must confront out-of-control Kami and former friend Jun, who has begun his own quest of revenge against those he believes have wronged him. To save the world, and themselves, Katie and Tomo will be up against one of the darkest Kami creations they've ever encountered—and they may not make it out alive. 

Review:


Contains Minor Spoilers:

   The world is rotting.
   The Paper God Chronicles was one of my favourite series from the past two years, I was super excited for Storm to be released. The covers to the books, the books themselves, they were all fabulous. A little before Rain, the sequel, was released the publishing house was bought over by another. I didn't really think much of it at first but with this book I noticed some changes.
   The cover design was a bit of a different theme then the original two, but it still fit, so again I didn't think much of it. The MAJOR thing that ticks me off about the book was that it was a centimetre shorter then the first two books. If you go out and buy the first two books you can now get the shorter versions to match the third book, but to people who owned the series before the last book released they'll be different.
   Honestly, as much as I loved Amanda Sun's writing style and the whole theme of the novel, I think Storm was my least favourite of the series. It felt a bit rushed to me, the book felt like it should have been stretched out a bit more, along with having more things explained.
   There were a bunch of little things that were thrown into the book, some things necessary and some not. I really enjoyed seeing Shiori in the Hospital with her baby, or how Ishikawa was in love with Tomo, I always knew something was up with him. But I didn't like how Katie's Dad was brought into the novel, I understand that her having powers needed to be explained but I didn't think it needed to be done like that.
   And finally like always, it's fabulous to have learnt more about Japan and the culture. That's always my favourite with Diverse YA novels. I am always thinking of the Japanese words now.
   Even if Storm wasn't for me, the rest of the books were and so I look forward to reading Amanda Sun's next book Heir to the Sky, which releases April 2016.

Rating:



Favourite Quote:


" Monsters can smile, too. And this is the monster who longed to be human." ~ Jun


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Cultural, Mythology, Japan, Kami




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!