Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Book Review: Ghost House by Alexandra Adornetto

Release Date: August 26th, 2014
Read: November 7th- 8th, 2015
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Series: The Ghost House Saga, #1
Format: ARC, 320 pages
Source: Gifted



Description from GoodReads:



   After the loss of her mother, Chloe Kennedy starts seeing the ghosts that haunted her as a young girl again. Spending time at her grandmother's country estate in the south of England is her chance to get away from her grief and the spirits that haunt her. Until she meets a mysterious stranger…

   Alexander Reade is 157 years dead, with secrets darker than the lake surrounding Grange Hall and a lifelike presence that draws Chloe more strongly than any ghost before. But the bond between them awakens the vengeful spirit of Alexander's past love, Isobel. And she will stop at nothing to destroy anyone who threatens to take him from her.

   To stop Isobel, Chloe must push her developing abilities to their most dangerous limits, even if it means losing Alex forever… and giving the hungry dead a chance to claim her for their own.


Review:


   The dead never stop envying the living.
   A few years ago I read the Halo Trilogy by Alexandra Adornetto, and I guess you could say I somewhat loved it. So imagine my happiness to hearing about a new series from Adornetto, and it being from HarlequinTeen no less! I requested it, and even won a giveaway for an ARC, even though it never showed up. I was stoked to get my hands on it, that was until I started to hear people's opinions on the book. Everyone was disappointed with it, they said to not bother picking up a copy. So when I finally did get that ARC I was so actively looking for, I just never ended up reading it. Until now that is.
   The first thing I noticed when I started to read the book was how immature the main character was, I just couldn't stand her. She was a shallow, 17 year old that's gotten everything she's ever wanted in life by just asking for it. Normally if the author had actually planned the character this way it would have been fine, but the impression I got from the character was that it was a normal occurrence and how life should be. I was not comfortable with that.
   Then there's the relationship between our main character Chloe and Alex, EW. Honestly, after everything she has learned about him how could she not be creeped out by him? Plus he's dead, why should she go for him when there is a perfectly alive human being who has risked his life for her, right there. I would cringe every time they were together or if Chloe thought of him. Nope, nope, nope.
   Finally, Adornetto's writing, I found it very repetitive. If something would happen, Chloe would always say "I noticed.." It grew quite boring. Then there was the things the characters would say, it was all cringe factor.
   Ghost House was written poorly for me and all the characters made me cringe, but Alexandra Adornetto still had me wanting more of the plot. If for some reason Ghost Hour ends up in my possession then maybe I'll end up reading it, but for now I think it's best if I stayed away from this author.

Rating:


Favourite Quote:


   " Where did our loved ones go after death? They didn't go anywhere. They stayed right where you left them, because you carried them with you. They were apart of you, like a tattoo. Trying to forget them was like trying to forget you had legs."


Recommend to People Who Enjoy:


Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Horror, Haunted Houses, Ghosts






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do see every comment you make, and will will do my best to reply ASAP. Just remember to check back here later for a reply!